"ORA-00942: table or view does exist" but it does.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

iq_etl
Premium Member
Premium Member

"ORA-00942: table or view does exist" but it does.

Post by iq_etl »

I'm in the process of converting a job from 8.7 to 9.1 and getting an odd error.

In my Sequence, I've got a job that with SQL collects the initial row count of the given table. This job is bombing out with the "ORA-00942: table or view does exist" error.

However, the table does exist in the appropriate environment as I can access it in SQL Developer, _and_ in the 9.1 sever job, when I go into the Oracle Connector stage, for the job that loads the table, when I select 'view data' I see the columns and data. Also, the table definition for this table is in the correct Table Definition folder for this project.

How is the Oracle Connector stage showing the data, but the SQL statement that collects the initial row count not finding the table? Doesn't seem like it can be a permissions issue. The table name is referenced the same in both instances.
iq_etl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by iq_etl »

I'm unclear why this was moved folders. We are using 9.1 Parallel Edition, but the job in question is a server job.

This issue does not pertain to Server Edition, only a server job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check the user name used to connect to Oracle from your DataStage job. Maybe THIS user can't "see" the table or view.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Because this is where Server jobs are discussed regardless of "edition". Don't take the elderly forum names too literally. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In fact there's no such thing as "Parallel Edition" in version 9.1.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
iq_etl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by iq_etl »

Ok, I've got all jobs in the sequence working.

In the pre-row count job, I'm now qualifying the table name with the schema. example below:

Code: Select all

SELECT COUNT(*) BeforeRowCount FROM [SCHEMA].#TABLE_NAME#
What has thrown me off is that in the initial project we built (we have about 4 projects, one for each schema), the above select statement works fine without the schema qualification. I'm going to go in and add it to be safe.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Which means your connection user at runtime is not the schema / owner of that table.
-craig

iq_etl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by iq_etl »

So, what's the best practice? As we've got it now, or having the scheduler pass in the schema qualification along with the table name to the sequence (which passes the\ose along to the DS jobs)?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Depends on your environment and standards, I suppose. We never connect as a table owner but use a functional id that has the appropriate grants on all tables it needs to access. Which means all of our table names are 'fully qualified'. Your choice regarding the need to parameterize any of that.

Another option would be synonyms but we've chosen to not take that path.
-craig

iq_etl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by iq_etl »

Can you break this down just a bit more?

Qualifying the table name with the schema, connects us as an owner? I thought those auths were in the user/server/password permissions (that, we do parameterize).

If I understand correctly, where we've got the schema name, you'd put that in a parameterized ID?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

iq_etl wrote:Qualifying the table name with the schema, connects us as an owner?
No, they are two separate things. What I meant was, if you connect as the owner of the table you technically don't need to qualify the table name. Meaning, if you have a schema of TEST with a table called FRED, you can connect as TEST and SELECT * FROM FRED and it will work since you 'own' the table. Now, if you connect as someone else like DSUSER, then you would have to SELECT * FROM TEST.FRED in order for it to know what table you meant.

If you fully qualify your table names then Oracle knows exactly where to go. If you don't, it has to try various steps in order to see if it can find it:

1. First check the current schema
2. Look for a private synonym
3. Look for a public synonym
4. Table or View does not exist

And then it also depends on having the appropriate grants, regardless of how you got there.

And we have no need to parameterize the owner as it doesn't change from environment to environment. As noted, that's more of a you call to say if it needs to be parameterized or not.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My practice is always to use fully-qualified table/view names, with each component in the name being a parameter (typically from a Parameter Set).

The value of using Parameter Set is that one may have a different values file (containing its own set of "default" values) for each environment (DEV, SIT, UAT, PROD).